October 2, 1920: Gothenburg Independent reports as follows:
“Gothenburg is to have another public park. E. G. West formally turned over to the Mayor and City Council a number of lots in the northern part of the city to be converted into a park. The land extends from Water Works Park south ninety feet on Lake Avenue, 360 feet to the first street on the east. The gift will be known as West Park. The land joins our beautiful Water Works Park, and when given a few touches by a landscape expert we will have a valuable and beautiful addition to our park system. Gothenburg is rightfully coming to be known as the little city of parks, trees and hospitality, on the lake in the plains.”
December 15, 1920: Gothenburg Times reports the following:
“Mayor Loutzenheiser recently received water-color pictures of the proposed improvements in Water Power Park and E. G. West Park. Landscape designs show the entrance to West Park, a fountain and pergola, additions and alterations to the pump house, a pavilion under the water tower, cement and graveled walks, etc. all artistically done.”
April 27, 1921— The Gothenburg Times reports:
WEST PARK WILL BE SPOT OF BEAUTY IN OUR CITY
West Park, when finished, will be one of the most beautiful things ever done in Gothenburg. Not merely a grove of trees, as we have come to think of parks, but an excellently planned place of beauty. Cement work is rapidly nearing completion, gold fish pond being already completed and the entrances, seats, walks, fountain and terrace being well under way. Trees, shrubbery and flowers have been set out, and before spring has changed to summer, West Park will be a spot to which all Gothenburg visitors will be taken with pride. The triangle parks will also soon be completed, as will be the fountain in City Park. “The City Beautiful” is living up to its name.
August 1, 1928: The Gothenburg Times reported:
MANY VISITORS APPRECIATE PARKS IN GOTHENBURG
“Lafayette and West Parks Visited By Hundreds of People Every Week”
An indication of the popularity enjoyed by Gothenburg’s beautiful park system is shown by Sunday’s visitors at West Park. Commissioner Stiff took the trouble to have a count kept and 339 people visited the park during the day.
The beauties of West Park have been heralded far and near, and that the pride which Mr. Stiff takes in its well-kept appearance and attractiveness is appreciated as shown in universal praise by all visitors.
Add to the total of 339, the number who visited Lafayette and City Parks during the day, one finds that a considerable number of people derive enjoyment from Gothenburg’s parks.
August 17, 1932— The Gothenburg Times reports:
E. G. WEST PARK RIVALS LAFAYETTE IN SUNDAY POPULARITY
The West Park, surrounding the water tower, is a popular gathering place for folks from this vicinity, especially on Sundays, when family gatherings and picnics are held. The smooth blue-grass lawns and beautiful flowers and well-kept shrubs have an allure for the older folks, while the kiddies enjoy the swings and teeter-totters. Nels Haynes, day pumpman, says he answers at least fifty questions each Sunday, people wanting to know where the deer are that were formerly kept in the enclosure in the southeast corner of the park. Here are a few of the gatherings at the park last Sunday:
· Sixty-five members of the Bierow family, from Holdrege and Holstein, NE and Julesburg CO selected West Park because it was the best place midway.
· The Anderson family, numbering about thirty, had their annual picnic dinner and supper at the park.
· The Bedell family had about thirty relatives present, including some from TX, for a family reunion at the park.